Temporary residence > Visitor's permit > Accompanying spouse


A visitor's permit may be issued to a foreigner who is the spouse of the holder of temporary residence permit and who will accompany him or her in South Africa for the duration of such permit.


  1. Application: form BI-1738 & form BI-84 | Renewal: BI-1739 | Change of conditions on existing permit or change of status: BI-1740
  2. Valid passport for no less than 30 days after the expiry of the intended visit
  3. Original medical certificate: form BI-811
  4. Original radiological report: form BI-806 [not applicable to pregnant women]
  5. Police clearance certificate(s), not older than six months at the time of submission, in respect of each country in which the applicant resided since the age of 18 years and lived in for 12 months or longer or a written undertaking with receipt(s) attached thereto
  6. Documents relating to the applicant's marital status (marriage certificate) or spousal relationship
  7. Letter of support from main applicant
  8. Copy of the relevant pages of the applicant's passport
  9. Prescribed fee

Where applicable

  1. Power of Attorney: form BI-29
  2. Yellow fever vaccination certificate if the applicant travelled or intends travelling from or through a yellow fever endemic area, provided that the certificate shall not be required where the applicant travelled or intends travelling in direct transit through such area or where the application is made in South Africa
  3. Documents relating to minor dependent children accompanying the applicant to or joining the applicant in South Africa:
      1. Unabridged birth certificate
      2. Proof of court order awarding custody, in the case of a minor subject to guardianship or custody
      3. Written consent from both parents or sole custody parent
      4. Proof of legal adoption, in the case of an adopted minor
      5. In the case of an unaccompanied minor, consent from the guardian
  4. Documents relating to the applicant's marital status or spousal relationship:
      1. Marriage certificate
      2. Proof of a spousal relationship
      3. Documentation proving cohabitation and the extent to which the related financial responsibilities are shared by the parties
      4. Affividavit confirming the spousal relationship and the particulars of any children born of such relationship
      5. Registration of customary marriage
      6. Divorce decree in the case of a divorced applicant
      7. Death certificate of late spouse in the case of a widowed applicant
      8. Legal separation order in the case of a separated applicant

By DesignTheWeb © 2008 - 2013
A division of Kramer & Villion